job description - Plumbing Technician
Duties (not an exhaustive list):
- Repair and maintenance of the campus plumbing network including freshwater reticulation, wastewater drainage systems, sewer systems, storm water drainage, hot and cold-water reticulation systems inside the buildings and understanding of the irrigation networks.
- Plan, and monitor work of plumbing works.
- Inspect and evaluate the condition of plumbing equipment in campus buildings and recommend corrective action.
- Review all requests for plumbing maintenance work and decide on replacement or repair.
- Review all requests for new installations, assist in designing installations and guide implementation.
- Ensure installation and repairs are performed in accordance with South African National Standards (SANS) standards and codes.
- Be familiar with costing for repairs, replacement, and installation of large and small plumbing systems.
- Maintain safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, working in confined spaces, and working at heights.
- This position is not limited to the plumbing trade. The incumbent will be required to perform general maintenance and handyman activities.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Plumbing certification
- A minimum of 5 years post-trade test hands-on plumbing experience
- Experience working with plumbing tools, materials, and safe work practices.
- Demonstrable knowledge of building maintenance
- Demonstrable knowledge of both industrial and domestic water reticulation systems
- Knowledge of relevant plumbing codes, legislation, regulations, installation & maintenance procedures
- Working knowledge of heating and ventilation systems as well as appliances
- Experience in reading blueprints and drawings to understand or plan the layout of plumbing, waste disposal and water supply systems essential
Candidates should have the following attributes:
- Sound work ethic
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Time management and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery with the ability to work in awkward spaces
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the activities of other team members
- Ability to handle plumbing tools and equipment (pipe wrenches, pipe cutters, plungers etc.)
- Supportive of the School’s Christian ethos
St Peter’s School is an independent preparatory school for boys and girls aged 3 to 13 years, set within 28 acres of beautiful countryside