job description - Business Development Manager
Purpose of the Job
- The purpose of the Business Development Manager role is to research and source viable and profitable business development opportunities in order to grow the number of business outlets across the Group. The role assumes accountability for a diverse portfolio, delivering business development functions to ensure profitability and consistent execution of Group property standards.
- The role applies strong negotiation and client relationship management skills to build sustainable and long-term property networks while capitalising on viable business development opportunities and new and emerging business prospects.
- The role reports to the Divisional Business Development Manager and works closely with the operational management team to understand and execute strategic business requirements.
- Investigate the viability of current old properties and buildings.
- Investigate open space and empty properties where developments can take place.
- Investigate the state and condition of old shops that need to be refurbished.
- Investigate leads from contacts and determine its viability.
- Liaise and network with property owners, developers and agents for business development leads.
- Proactively evaluate competitor and market activities for emerging opportunities, define potential risks or constraints and propose best options in the interest of the Group.
- Research new properties thoroughly that are to be used for business development purposes, ensuring all potential risks are proactively mitigated.
- Investigate all aspects related to the development, viability and profitability of shopping centres and areas including the position and status, business rights, zoning and title limitations.
- Liaise with market researchers to establish turnover rates for the shopping centre and area.
- Anticipate and investigate any other detail that might affect future viability and profitability.
- Proactively pursue viable business opportunities in assigned portfolio and make recommendations where opportunities exist within the broader property function.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and developments in the assigned portfolio and continually identify ways to add value to own portfolio and the broader property function.
- Consolidate all research data and provide actionable insights that enables operational management teams to make informed business decisions.
- Present and communicate findings to the operational management team to enable them to conduct proper viability studies (ROI).
- Provide comprehensive feedback on any questions related to property.
- Conduct additional research on the property based on the operational team’s feedback or queries.
- Play an active role in any required team, departmental and corporate project and planning processes.
- Communicate constantly with the property owner, developer, and/or agent, ensuring a high level of consistency and value delivery within the portfolio.
- Negotiate on and ensure optimal lease agreements (e.g.: CPI increase, amount per square metre etc.).
- Obtain Board resolution before making a final offer to the landlord.
- Sign the final offer with the landlord, and record the agreement.
- Collaborate with the operational management team on any redevelopments or refurbishing required.
- Support and/or mentor new and emerging team members in understanding and embedding sound property standards and business practices in their respective areas.
- Provide specialist expertise to the team and cross-functional partners as required, supporting with complex problems and guiding on business standards.
- Degree in Finance, Property Studies, Business, Legal, Town Planning or a related field
- +4 years’ experience in a similar capacity or role, managing a sizeable portfolio along with demonstrable experience in property development, property scouting and business expansion.
- Well-developed knowledge of the property retail market with a strong understanding of retail store layout, store viabilities and shopping centre design.
- Well-developed understanding and practical application of governance, regulation and financial aspects of a properties function.
- Experience in the commercial property market.
- Knowledge of contract law principles.
- Ability to travel extensively and at short notice as per operational requirements.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office 365.
Knowledge and Skills
- Decisive, action orientated with good judgment – Applies property knowledge to manage the portfolio in a competitive, evolving shopper landscape. Compares data from different sources to draw sound conclusions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Problem-solving skills – Able to problem-solve and manage the complexities of a broad and diverse portfolio with high impact. Effectively analyses, integrates and links information to business results and understands how to measure success accordingly.
- Collaborative partnering – Builds sound relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Strong interpersonal skills to deal with situations with flexibly and tactfully while advocating for cooperation and synergies across projects.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills – Skilled negotiator, applying diplomacy and skill with calculated compromises to accomplish portfolio goals. Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish organisational and business goals.
- Communication and reporting skills – Communicates effectively; able to the convey information and data clearly, accurately, and succinctly in a meaningful and insightful way. Able to engage with a variety of business stakeholders across the Group.
- Results and quality focused, setting stretch goals for self and others, while remaining focused and working tenaciously toward meeting and exceeding expectations within quality standards.
- Business and commercial acumen - Understands property standards and operational best practices to improve and drive performance; proactively explores new prospects and capitalizes on established networks. Knows how to leverage business insights to drive opportunities.
About the company
ShopRite is a retailers' cooperative of supermarkets.